ConnectGene can coordinate all aspects of CAR-T cell therapy – from initial screening and selection of the most suitable CAR-T cell therapy, to referral to a treatment centre with the capability to deliver CAR-T cell therapy effectively and at a reasonable price.
When a patient signs on to ConnectGene’s service, ConnectGene will conduct a thorough and timely assesment of:
- the suitability of CAR-T cell therapy to your circumstances
- the most appropriate CAR-T cell therapy treatment centre; and
- the requirements for treatment.
ConnectGene will monitor patients during CAR-T cell therapy to support the best possible outcome for patients, and can also provide ongoing monitoring of patients after their CAR-T cell therapy is complete.
Doctors and patients are becoming increasingly aware of CAR-T cell therapy. Many already know a little about what is involved, but remain unsure of several major questions:
- Is my cancer or disease able to be treated by CAR-T cell therapy?
- If so, what would be the most suitable CAR-T cell therapy?
- Where can I access CAR-T cell therapy, and how quickly?
- What does going through CAR-T cell therapy involve?
ConnectGene can answer these key questions for patients, concerned family members and their doctors – and connect patients to an appropriate CAR-T cell therapy centre for treatment.
Step 1. Initial Consultation
As part of the initial screening process of suitability for CAR-T cel therapy, several questions typically arise:
- What tests do I need to find out if my cancer or disease is suitable?
- What further health information is also needed to decide if I can receive CAR-T cell therapy safely?
- What are the risks of having CAR-T cell therapy? How can we reduce these risks?
- What is the likely success of CAR-T cell therapy in my case?
- What are the estimated costs of receiving CAR-T cell therapy?
ConnectGene can help answer these questions, and can assist patients with all necessary screening procedures in a timely fashion. Speed is often important, since a cancer or disease may worsen during delay. Critically, worsening in a patient’s condition may prevent treatment going ahead.
Consultation with ConnectGene’s oncology specialist, Dr Michael Copeman, may be done in person or remotely via Skype/Hangouts/FaceTime.
Step 2. Medical Review and Screening
If CAR-T cell therapy is identified as a potential treatment option during the initial consultation, ConnectGene will offer a full medical review which includes:
- a review of medical notes, including pathologic diagnosis and prior treatment to identify the best course of treatment;
- analysis of a sample of the patient’s cancer for CAR-T cell targets to ascertain the patient’s individual requirements;
- discussions with a suitable CAR-T cell biotech company for reproduction of CAR-T cells; and
- development of a timeline for the patient to travel to the treatment centre for therapy.
Initial genetic tests can be arranged on a sample of cancer or disease sent by post.
Step 3. CAR-T Cell Therapy
ConnectGene will arrange for delivery of treatment by the identified CAR-T cell therapy provider. This will involve:
- the collecting of T-cells from the patient and the delivery of those T-cells to the CAR-T cell therapy provider;
- lab work to insert the CAR gene into the T-cells;
- re-infusion of CAR-T cells into the patient; and
- hospital, travel and accommodation logistics as required.
Once a patient is selected as suitable for CAR-T cell therapy, and they have signed onto the CAR-T cell therapy stage of the program, travel arrangements to China or Hong Kong will need to be made. ConnectGene will facilitate this with patients and their families.
ConnectGene aims to ensure sure that patients find their journey to China as comfortable as possible, facilitating travel, accommodation, meetings with specialists, hospital visits and stays (when necessary), and facilitation of cross-border payments in the interest of the patient.
Cost for treatment will vary depending on the CAR-T cell therapy required, travel and accommodation logistics, and any necessary hospital or associated treatment fees.
Step 4. Monitoring of results and follow-up
ConnectGene can also be engaged to monitor patients after CAR-T cell therapy, to help ensure the best possible outcomes for the patient. This service includes:
- monitoring activity of residual cancer;
- checking on the function and persistence of CAR-T cells; and
- providing advice on treatments to augment CAR-T cell therapy.
Further CAR-T cell therapy or augmenting treatments required may incur additional costs.